Sunday, May 15, 2011

I'm wearing clothes...and they're not mine

Strange title, right? Let me recap our day. We woke up at 7:00 this morning in a 4-person shelter filled with 6 people. A little crowded. By 7:45, we were on the trail and on a mission. It has been raining for the past 3 days, so we decided to make an 18-mile dash to the Bear's Den Hostel to spend the night. As we hiked through a meadow, the sun broke through the fog, and for the first time in days, we saw the blue sky. Our spirits were high as we entered the norther virginia rollarcoaster. The rollarcoaster is a 13.5 mile stretch with 10 ascents and descents (a ton of up and down!). Still going strong, a thunderstorm hit us just after lunch (peanut butter on tortilla shells, if you were wondering). The trail turned into a muddy stream, and we were hiking uphill as the water poured down. Green Mile felt invigorated by the rain and hiked faster. I (Teen Bean) was more cautious and sang to myself as I hiked up and down the mountains in the rain. I came to a creek, an overflowing creek. Thankfully, my brother was waiting there to help me across-yes, I admit it. I needed help across. 3 more miles and we were at the hostel! A warm shower, a hot pizza, and a cold pint of Ben and Jerry's were waiting for us. And the clothes I'm wearing are from a dresser while mine are in the wash! Warm and clean clothes for tomorrow. Hurray!!! Thanks all for your thoughts and prayers. Pictures and more updates to follow soon! Harper's Ferry day after tomorrow, Maryland right after that!

Teen Bean

3 comments:

  1. Looks like one more day of rain for ya... maybe two... nothing makes the sun so sweet as a few days of rain while walking on/in the "Applachian Creek." When the sun returns hikers uynderstand why birds sing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creek? Definitely! It felt more like a flooded river! But it does make the sun all the more sweeter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is incredible! So, so good....

    ReplyDelete