Thursday, June 2, 2011

Zero Days

I woke up this morning, and it took a moment to realize where I was. There were no birds chirping. There was no dirt covering me. I didn't have to walk down the blue-blaze trail to get water from the spring. I didn't eat pop-tarts for breakfast. There was no lingering smell from yesterday's hike. And I didn't walk anywhere.

We are home for a 3-day break for our younger brother's graduation. We've covered 439.4 miles in the past 29 days. We are 20% done with our journey. We've hiked from Central Virginia to Northern Pennsylvania. We've encountered so much in the past month that it's hard to think what's still coming up. Some of my favorite memories so far are the unexpected encounters with scenery and people. We will be home until Sunday when we will drive back to where we left the trail and will continue our trek to Maine.

Some people have asked me what trail magic is. Let me explain. Trail magic is an unexpected surprise left by someone for the benefit of hikers. The people that leave trail magic are referrred to as trail angels. Trail magic comes in many different forms such as food, drinks, rides, and/or places to stay. Last week, we encountered a cooler full of cold gatorade at a road crossing. Tuesday, four guys drove up from South Carolina and parked their trailer. They were spending the whole week feeding hikers hot dogs and baked beans. Other people have asked about shelters. A shelter is a 3-sided wooden structure designed for hikers to sleep under (on the floor). They offer protection from the elements, but often house creatures such as mice, snakes, spiders, and other insects. A zero day refers to a day in which a hiker does not hike while a nero refers to a day in which a hiker only hikes a few miles (usually into or out of a town).

I finally have access to a computer which allows me to upload pictures, so I am adding a photo page! Hopefully these pictures will give you a better idea of what we have been up to the past month!

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment