Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A Good Week

This past week has been a good hiking week. My younger brother David joined us last week for about 7 days, and I tried to make sure he got the full experience! We tented, stayed in shelters, drank water out of "questionable" sources, cooked pasta and rice sides, climbed mountains, and enjoyed views. We felt an earthquake, hiked through a thunderstorm, and slept through the hurricane winds. All in all, a good time. Then, after spending an afternoon in Daleville, I found the perfect camping spot up on a ridge overlooking the Roanoke Resevoir and the mountains. Despite the rainclouds that rolled in, I had great views and a peaceful evening! Yesterday was yet another beautiful day. Tinker Cliffs and McAfee Knob were amazing views, and I enjoyed talking to a college group from Washington Lee at the Catawba Shelter. (They gave me apples and oranges!) And finally, after hiking 1500 miles, I saw my first bear yesterday evening. He was just walking up the trail, and I mistakenly took him at first for a dog. But he was no dog, and I'm glad to have finally seen a real live bear!

Last night, my friend Amanda picked Daniel and I up and brought us into Blacksburg for a few nights of rest. Now I remember why it's best to keep mileage under 20...my feet are swollen and my knees ache. I am looking forward to my day off! It's hard to believe that in 45 days, I will be done with this extraordinary adventure! I've got a Reunion Tour planned to visit my college friends in Indiana and Pennsylvania, and I have to find a job and become a real person. But that's a worry for another time and place. Today, I just have to relax!

No comments:

Post a Comment